Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spring?

Well, it's cold again. Peg has gone off to spend time with a friend up at their new cabin for a birthday weekend and I am home with the kids. Great weekend weather to be cooped up.

We signed up Ollie and Hazel for Soccer this week through the Y. Hazel said she does not want to play because she doesn't know how. I told her they will help her learn and she will like it. I am not so sure about her. She gets tired running around the kitchen. But I feel like they need to start learning to play some sports. Ollie is happy to be playing soccer. Any sport is a good sport to him.

We also started swimming lessons this last week. The first time that the parents don't swim with them. I asked Peggy to watch them like a hawk. Those little dudes sink like stones when you put them in the water. Who knew kids were so dense! I guess the Haze did great (they were learning to dog paddle) and Ollie cried and needed some consolation from Mom. He said he won't cry next time though. I will let you all know how he does. :-)

If you can believe it they are also taking tennis lessons for a week. We bought tennis raquets for the kids and there was some angst as I could not find a "blue" one for Ollie. It's yellow and black. It took him a day to finally come around and ask if "is that spot right there blue?" to which we replied "sure". Hazel didn't even take notice of hers. It's purple and so that must have been good enough. I am really looking forward to having them learn to hit a tennis ball.



My Mom gave us bikes for the kids. Hazels is Pink and Ollie's is Blue. But Ollie does not like his because it's really hard to peddle. Hazel has taken to hers and really likes that she can now out pace Ollie easily. He rides his trike and she rides the bike. I think the peddle ratio is about 5 to one. Ollie does great but he gets frustrated by not being able to keep up. The Haze tips over at least once every ride, but she never cries much and we always get her right back on it. Eric and Kelly Eiden gave us a 16" bike for Ollie. So we need to get training wheels on it and a chain guard. It's not blue...but maybe I can find some blue stickers to put on it.







Spring has been pretty great so far. I have been to two Twins games already. Both of them day games. We have been going for walks after work with the kids (they ride trikes and bikes) and so it already feels like we are getting out of the house and back to nature.

No comments: